There’s been some discussion lately of putting together an informal group of people who are training for the 2012 Wasatch 100 Mile Endurance Run.
I’ve gone ahead and picked some dates and mapped out a couple sketches of what some training runs might look like over the summer. For the most part, I’ve tried to avoid routes that would require a car shuttle or too much logistical fiddling around.
For most of these, water is available either at springs or by filtering from creeks.
These will be self-supported runs. Though we obviously want everybody to come back safely, don’t expect a nice aid station every few miles. You should carry the appropriate emergency gear with you and know how to use it. You may need to bring your own water filtration equipment in certain cases.
Take what you need and pack everything back out with you. Behave kindly towards those you meet on the trail. You guys know the drill. :]
With that stuff out of the way, here is my proposed list of group training runs for 2012:
- April May 19th: Fernwood Picnic -> Francis Peak -> Fernwood. (22mi, ~4,500′ gain)
- June 30th: Skyline Drive loop starting in Bountiful and climbing up to Bountiful Peak and then either back down the way we came or a loop over to Farmington Canyon depending on road conditions there. (24+ mi, ~4,600′ gain)
- July 7th: Big Mountain -> Skyline Road junction -> Big Mountain (28+ mi, a few thousand feet of gain? I’m really not sure.)
- August 11th: Big Mountain -> Lambs -> Big Mountain (30 mi, ~2,900′ gain)
- August 18th: Lambs Cyn -> Scotts Towers -> Lambs Cyn (30 mi, 6,000′ gain)
- August 25th: Brighton -> Finish (24 mi, 6,000+’ gain). Car shuttle required, obviously.
If you’re interested in any of these runs, please drop me a line either in the comments or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and let me know. As we get more into summer, I’ll be posting more info for each of these including maps, meeting places, etc.
If you’re doing your own group runs this summer and would like me to repost them here to help get the word out, by all means, please send them to me and I will happily do so.
Please feel free to post links back to this on your own blog and let friends know as well. The more the merrier. They don’t have to be running the race, either. Just come out and have fun. All abilities and speeds welcome.